Tuesday, April 26, 2016
6:30pm – 9:00pm
111 W Lewis St.
Potential Members: $10
Join AIGA Triad NC on April 26th as we present typographic extraordinaire Tobias Frere-Jones. Over 25 years, Tobias Frere-Jones has established himself as one of the world’s leading typeface designers. Tobias has designed fonts for major publications including Martha Stewart Living and GQ magazine. He has also worked for The Wall Street Journal, Nike, Pentagram, Esquire Magazine, and The New York Times Magazine.Tobias received a BFA in Graphic Design from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1992. He joined the faculty of the Yale University School of Art in 1996 and has lectured throughout the United States, Europe and Australia. His work is in the permanent collections of the Victoria & Albert Museum in London and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. In 2006, The Royal Academy of Visual Arts in The Hague (KABK) awarded him the Gerrit Noordzij Prijs, for his contributions to typographic design, writing and education. In 2013 he received the AIGA Medal, in recognition of exceptional achievements in the field of design.
Some of his typefaces include:
- Nobel used in the Lexus literature and marketing material
- Interstate used for Southwest Airlines signage, Lamborghini, Trinity College London, Ernst and Young, Invesco Perpetual, UK Rail Company c2c, the 2006 Army Strong campaign, the 2010 video game Golden Eye 007 and Global Television Network
- Benton Sans designed for Martha Stewart Living (initially titled MSL Gothic), used for the Marvel Comics logo font and the primary font for myspace redesign in 2013
- Archer designed for Martha Stewart Living, used in the branding for Wells Fargo, The Grand Budapest Hotel Film and the current font used for titles and body text by the Design Observer website
- Whitney for the Whitney Museum, used for Hilton Hotels, and since 2005, the Visa logo is based on a modified version of Whitney. From 2005-2014, Whitney was also Visa’s corporate font for internal and merchant communications, along with some advertising. Also used by Kodak, the American Nerd book cover by Benjamin Nugent, Delta Air Lines (used in logo and all branding) and Sam’s Club which has used Whitney for advertising, promotions and in-store signage since their rebranding.
- Gotham, commissioned by GQ Magazine, used in Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign, used on the cornerstone for the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site, Starbucks’ 2008 campaign, Saturday Night Live and the Tribeca Film Festival
Light refreshments provided. Screen printed posters for the event will be available for purchase.
Special thanks to our sponsors International Paper, French Paper Company, and:
Published April 12, 2016